Thursday, July 17, 2014

Blessed beyond Belief

  July 3rd we had our most beautiful day in missions. That day, after 2 months of preparation,  we watched 16 of the kids we love and serve receive their sacraments(a mix of Baptism, Confession, 1st Communion, Confirmation) and one couple, who had lived together for 18 years and have 4 kids, receive the sacrament of Marriage!



     



  Now I have to tell the story of Emilia(our bride). About 1-2 weeks before the wedding, I brought some dresses to her house to try on. She wanted something very simple. Out of the 4 I brought, she found one that she really liked. I told her that she should come to the house and look at the others, because I had a feeling she might find one she liked more. She stopped by our house a couple days later and tried on several other dresses. She found one that she REALLY liked. It fit well and looked beautiful on her. She took it home so she could show it to her daughter. Two days later, she shows back up at the house and tells me that the dress wont fit! I couldn't believe it. How weird, right? I told her, "We have one more. Let's see if it will fit". (My parents had arrived the day before and brought my dress). And believe it or not, it fit perfectly. Her face lit up and we knew this was the one. How amazing that this woman who I have grown to know and love was to wear MY dress! The funny thing is, about 3 weeks before, Dave said to me "I think your dress would be perfect for Emilia!" Haha. He didn't know how right he was! (Sidenote: Although they are not smiling in the photos, the couple truly was extremely happy. Here, it is normal not to smile in photos)


Ricardo, Emilia, and their family


The day of the fiesta was perfect. The weather was beautiful(not the usual stifling heat you encounter at 12 pm in the desert). The people were smiling and excited. You would have thought we had given them a million dollars. But in all reality, they received something that day so much better than money; the graces of the sacraments. You could feel the graces poured out as each person received their sacraments. In that moment, I knew that we were here for a reason. Of course I have always known God sent us here for a reason. But  in this moment, I realized that without God working through us, these people may have never received their sacraments. There in that moment, I knew we had in some small way fulfilled our purpose as missionaries. And to see Emilia walk down the "aisle" of the chapel, wearing my dress, was truly indescribable.What an incredible God we have who would not only allow me to be part of this day, but then to top it off, He would give me the blessing of seeing Emilia wear my wedding dress. Thank you Jesus for the gift it is to be missionaries! Everything we've given up and sacrificed is totally worth it and I wouldn't trade this life for anything!


Me and my "ahijados"(Godchildren). Here you have a Godparent for every sacrament.





Dave and his ahijados

My Mom and Dad got to place the lasso on the couple. They felt very honored and blessed to do this! Ricardo and Emilia were really happy that my parents were able to do it as well(Here during the wedding ceremony, they place a lasso around the couple which symbolizes their unity)
Throwing the bouquet.....the Brides daughter caught it:)


Throwback: Dave and I on our wedding day. 8 1/2 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment